Recently I have been working on a project that involves extracting a bunch of files from zips. The problem I faced was all the shortcuts within the zips were hard coded to locations, making it impossible for me to move the extracted zip data to wherever I may want. I wanted a native library that could read and modify Windows Shortcuts so I could drop my zip data anywhere; my project is in Java, and its instant cross compatibility was needed. I know all my clients have Java installed, so that made its dependency not a issue. After looking around on the internet and finding several options, including the popular https://github.com/jimmc/jshortcut. Now the downside the this popular jShortcut library is you need a DLL, why you need a DLL to write a binary file, I am not sure. More specifically, you need a DLL for your PCs instruction set, ick! After searching the far reaches of github, and getting to the end of my rope I found https://github.com/kactech/jshortcut, written 5 years ago, and not really popular on github I thought I would give it a try. IT’S AMAZING! With no dependencies, and just a single include, you can write, modify, and create new Windows Shortcuts! There is example code included, and it couldn’t be easier to use. I just wanted to make sure anyone who has had the same problem knows about this great library.
Here it is! The source code (all be it not great) for 6to4 card cleaner up on github. This program has become less useful recently because my school recently implemented IPv6 across the network, and that has seemed to fixed the problem, along with new images. Anyway have fun with it, build it out, add to it…
Hello Internet, I am back at school; along with working on some new and exciting things. https://github.com/daberkow is going to be my new GitHub place where I put up fun and exciting code, as well as add older things I have worked on and not released code for. Below I will list a couple projects and their state:
6to4 Card Cleaner: There was a error in the server side version library, that was fixed and clients should be able to update to newest version of 1.63
Duplicate Image Thing: I havent done much with this, I will be adding it to github for anyway to play with
New Project! Jukebox: I am working on a Jukebox from scratch, it will be based on raspberrypi.org computer. Designed as follows using EL lighting.
Here is my latest little creation, CUFU, which stands for COM USB Finder Utility. The purpose is if you have to plug in and out a USB to COM port cable a lot and it changes which COM it is in windows, making you go to device manager, now you can run this, and hit the icon, and bam it will tell you. Right now it will tell you by default if “Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port” is plugged in, and which is the most recent. That can be changed, there is a updater. Its a standard one week project. Also I wanted art for the about page, “art” is stretching it for what I made.
Download (Requires .Net v2)
I have updated card cleaner to 1.51, new features include:
Backend Fixes Updater Displays server While removing cards, output
is correct Download:
So I’ve started on a new program at the behest of my friend David. It allows you to enter any website that has a bunch of items in a numerical storage system, or through RSS. Thats the idea anyway, some uses are reading webcomics, or looking at EVERY MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLE IN ORDER! That’s the idea, right now it just goes to “Order of The Stick Comics”. But I installed my update class, so I will put updates out when they are ready and it will warn you, then allow you to download them. Links below, my second miror is limited, so please use the first if available.
Multiple versions of Windows, mostly Windows 7, support IPv6 networking, and if your network doesn’t support it, and the machine wants to link to a site or computer that does, it will make a virtual IPv6 to IPv4 converter card. Now sometimes Windows doesn’t reuse them, or delete them. So in this situation these cards keep being added to the system, adding and adding. Eventually the use will attempt to connect to a local server, or some other service, and Windows will try every card first, and then fail to connect. Timing out even though the real connection has no fault. It appears at around 180 virtual cards we start to see this. The solution is removing all the cards, but Windows wants you to remove them one at a time. Microsoft does have a tool for removing devices in a systematic order, but you need to get the one for your architecture, and some of these need you to download a large package and extract it. So I decided to make it simple, download and run my tool and it will remove these cards for the user. After the removal the user will need to reboot but then they can connect.
Now this doesn’t keep the computer from adding more cards in the future, and I don’t want to disable IPv6, for it is slowly rolling out and when the user actually gets it they should be able to use it. So the current release, v 1.2.2, has a few command line arguments, and will run in graphical mode if no arguments are presented. It is very simple, a few buttons that do their jobs. In the future I want to add a scheduler option, that will allow you to run it monthly automatically so if this problem persists it isn’t a pest, along with a updating function so no need to download a new version if installed.
The download link is below, it requires .Net 2.0, which is already installed on Windows Vista and Windows 7.